Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Collected Douglas Fir

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
amanHussain
amanHussain

Collected Douglas Fir Empty
PostSubject: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Salam everyone,

Here is a Douglas Fir that was collected from the mountains of Colorado 4 years ago. The height is around 9inches and the base is 2inches.

Collected Douglas Fir Df_ori10

And here it is after some initial styling:
Collected Douglas Fir Df_20110

And here is my future design:
Collected Douglas Fir Df_vir10

I will be repotting it this spring, and I need your help in determining what kind of pot is suitable. Also, give me your feedback about styling.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

nice collected Aman... so you are one of luckiest who have access to mountains and Yamadori.
trunk movement is classic.
and just saw your signature.... awesome and true.
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks PakBonsai... I actually haven't collected any trees from the mountains; someone else collected this tree. This tree is approx. 70 years old.

However, I have collected a couple of thick trunked shrubs from the garden. Old and thick garden material can prove to have excellent potential.

The future plan for this tree is to build an apex and fill in the foliage pads. And ofcourse, to find a nice pot.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

OMG 70 years old ! cant think to have such tree here.keep posting on updates
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Yamadori (translated into 'tree collected from mountain') can be very old. I have a Rocky Mountain Juniper that was collected in South Dakota at an elevation of 7000 feet is only 9 inches tall and around 101 years old.

I have seen collected trees online, in books, and physically that are several hundred years old. Some Japanese collections have Yezo Spruce that are 1000+ years old that were in bonsai cultivation some 50years or less.

I don't want to talk much about Yamadori since it is a whole different subject. I will soon open a thread about Yamadori with related links, and maybe we can discuss it there.

- AH
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 am

Aman, a very good collected specimen this is. Your initial styling + your virtual is impressive and the future direction is clearly thought of.

As regards the pot suggestion..... based on your 'virtual'...... I feel that both an round pot or a rectangular pot would suit this tree. Color could be dark grey or burnt sienna.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm

The upper portion of the tree was very boring and conventional. However, the lower portion has a lot of age (thick plated bark), character (movement), and ofcourse jin.

Let me know what you think. It is repotted in a small training pot.

Collected Douglas Fir Df_20112

- AH
Back to top Go down
Inaam

Inaam

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 pm

we have everything here in Pakistan, amazing species of conifer and junipers. One can definitely plan bonsai hunting programs with their peers in hilly areas.
I m sure, there is plenty of ancient yamadori available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collected Douglas Fir   Collected Douglas Fir Empty

Back to top Go down

Collected Douglas Fir
Page 1 of 1