Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
amanHussain
amanHussain

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Empty
PostSubject: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Here is a Siberian Elm (Ulmus pumila) dormant in winter.
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_2010

The base is around 4inches thick. Here is my hand for size estimate:
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_2011

The red line is where the tree was originally chopped in spring 2010, and the original trunk continued along the green line.
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm110

And here is the second chop around the end of summer 2010. The green arrow is the direction of the future sacrifice leader to grow. When this leader thickens to atleast 3/4 inch, it will be chopped again. Note how the chopping improves taper.
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm210

And here is my future vision of the tree.
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_vi10

Comments, criticism are welcome.
- AH
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Aman,

That's a nice specimen you have.
Your vitual is also good. However could you post pics of the other sides as well so as to ascertain other 'front' options? A little anti-clockwise view perhaps....

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 am

nice specimen Aman.
a good specimen do half of the work with bonsai rest is styling. finding good material is a hard job here in my area,we have to rely on simple nursery stock.
those are lucky who have pre-bonsai nurseries or living near mountains.
regarding your specimen if this is your front will be more attractive and balanced if have branch/s on left... just a suggestion.

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_vi11
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Salam Shaukat,

Here are the other three angles of the elm.

Side 1:
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Side111

Back:
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Back11

Side 2:
Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Side210

-AH
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi PakBonsai,

I agree that people who live near wilderness areas like Ziarat, Murree, Swat, Gilgit and other mountainous areas will have access to some really nice potential bonsai. People like us have to do with nursery material, and plant them in the ground to thicken the trunk.

It is not that we are unlucky, we just have to use our knowledge of bonsai and do the best with our material. For example, this Elm is a weed (even worse, it is an invasive species) in areas where I live. In fact, it is not unusual to find a small Siberian Elm seedling growing in the middle of the lawn. The elm that I have was once a 15 foot tall and slender tree. It was originally chopped to 2 feet and planted in a large pot. When I got this tree, I chopped it further to 3/4 foot and started training. The chopping method is very common amongst the Japanese.

I like your suggestion and I will take your advice for the lowest branch on the left. However, I think the branch right above it will be a defect according to japanese standards (I try to follow their standards). Notice that there is a slight inner curve in the trunk where you have the second branch, and branches growing on the inner curve is considered a defect.

- AH
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 am

Salam, Aman,

Sorry for my belated response. Thanks for posting the other sides of the tree. The reason I had asked for it was to get a full view of the tree so as to understand the possibility of getting new shoots for creating foliage depth.

Apart from nursery stocks, there is always ample material available in nature (not necessarily mountains) to collect suitable bonsai stocks.

Pls post some current pics of this tree as new shoots must have appeared by now.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Salam Shaukat,

I will post pictures soon. I have been waiting for it to grow a little after a drastic change in plan for this tree.

It will be a surprise, however it will be much better than what the original image had.

- AH
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Here is the surprise!!!

The below image is after another trunk chop. The reason I did this is because when I excavated the base a little more, I found a very attractive bulge and some surface roots. However, the original branches would not have been in the right angle, so I had to get rid of all that.

Right after the chop:

Summer picture:

By the end of next year, I should have a well-defined tree.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 am

what a drastic move on material.best wishes for future.
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm

This is a very tough species to kill. It grows like a weed.

Below is an update. The sacrifice is now almost 7 feet tall. By next year, the foliage should fill in nicely and maybe the sacrifice removed.

- Aman
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Here is a winter update of the Elm:

- Aman
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 am

a very bold step Aman. trunk shape is better now than previous. Just waiting to see it in full ramification. best wishes
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Below is a spring update of this elm. It is potted in a Heian Kozen pot.

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_2012

Once the foliage fills in by summer, I will try to get the below silhoutte:

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Elm_vi10

- Aman
Back to top Go down
Cheetos

Cheetos

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm

good job aman, you been doing gr8!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method   Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method Empty

Back to top Go down

Elm tree progression - Trunk chop method
Page 1 of 1