Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Post saying hello from the Caribbean

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Khaimraj

First Post saying hello from the Caribbean Empty
PostSubject: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 2:04 am

Hello to All,

my name is Khaimraj, and I am from the Caribbean. Happy to lend my knowledge, just not sure if that will be any good. I only speak English by the way. Apologies.

Do you guys have Tamarindus Indica ?

Anyone growing trees from seed ?

How cold do you get ?

A fukien tea image - please enjoy - should appear lifesized.
First image as it was grown - second as it is today.
Until,
Khaimraj

First Post saying hello from the Caribbean Fukien14

Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:57 pm

khaimraj welcome to Pak Bonsai.
i have a tamarind plant,grew it from seed three years ago.
i have planted it in training pot.
regarding cold,in my region we get 0 temp when cold is on its best and 45 degree in summers.
i have few trees grown from seeds.will share pics.
Back to top Go down
Khaimraj

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Pak Bonsai,

for what it is worth, we were in the same situation back in 1978 or so.
We didn't have a Bonsai Society until around 1994 or so.
Lots of experimenting.

A few suggestions.

Apart from what you may have in the plant nurseries, have you looked up your local trees / shrubs ?

Normally, there is a Herbarium somewhere in a University or other with a listing and files of dried leaves,flowers etc. of local trees / shrubs and roadside weeds.

You can try to source like this, look for trees or shrubs that have many branches and branchlets.

Or you can see if you have relatives of the elms [ ulmus ], pines [ pinus ], maples [ acer ], pomegranate [ punica ], hackberries [ celtis ], and so on. Just look up anything Japanese, European [ Olive - Olea or Russian Olive - Oleaster ], Chinese, whatever and see if you have a cousin in your country.

You may find it easier on your nerves to learn to grow trees outdoors, than indoors.
Until.
Khaimraj

p.s I learnt a lot from our roadside weed - Sida Acuta.
Back to top Go down
Khaimraj

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Oh and just to say, if you have local potters, you can have home made bonsai pots or concrete-paper mixed pots.
Khaimraj
Back to top Go down
Khaimraj

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh, Oh, yes one more.

When learning, it is more sensible to control the urge to collect old trees from the wild that have trunks larger than 2 cm.

Normally with inexperience you just end up killing the tree and you have nothing left. If you are patient and wait, learn all you can from the smaller specimen, it will be easier to take the bigger one.

Plus, you may find, that the tree is useless or only so so.

Or just grow a seed.
Most you guys seem to be under 35 and so 5 years won't hurt you.Plus to learn about Bonsai it is normal to have 200 trees and slowly go down to 25 - 50 exceptional specimens.
Khaimraj

First Post saying hello from the Caribbean Olea_a11

From Seed - Olea Europea
from 1986 or 85 need to check passport. Origin South Africa. Gift of 1/2 kilo of seed brought to Florence, Italy when I was a student.
Not the best angle, just to show -
Back to top Go down
nirma1230

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:35 pm

its really amazing pictures, i like it very much, thanks to share with us, hope that you will keep it up , its looking beautiful
gujranawala board result 2011
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Post saying hello from the Caribbean   First Post saying hello from the Caribbean Empty

Back to top Go down

First Post saying hello from the Caribbean
Page 1 of 1