Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me where to start

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dak

Help me where to start  Empty
PostSubject: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:45 am

Bought this ficus some times ago, i want to train this plant plz suggest me how can i save the cuttingfor other bonsai because the trunk is in good shape, in my immagination i want to use the cutting for another bosai . Secondly what kind of ficus is it. Thirdly what style i should preffer as it will be my first attempt. Do i need to wait till january to cut the trunk or i can do it some other times too if yes which month.I know i have to give shape to its trunk and i will have to wait for long and i m ready to keep waiting to give it a good look. I just have repoted it in this biger container. [img]Help me where to start  Sp_a0325[/img][img]Help me where to start  Sp_a0326[/img][img]Help me where to start  Sp_a0327[/img]
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Someone can probably tell you more about the species.

It appears that your soil is very compact (almost seems like clay). You should replace the soil with something that drains a little better. Good air and water circulation to the roots will increase vigour in your tree.

This is an excellent material for air-layering, and I have given my suggestion of where to take the air-layering from.

Help me where to start  Ficus10

Thanks,
Aman
Back to top Go down
dak

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Dear Aman
Thanks for your kind reply. Yes you are right its the silt havent added any potting mix or bonsai soil to it yet. However i will like people from lahore to suggest me the combination and their authantic yet economical sources.

I have a lot to learn from you guys so please ignore if you already have answered these questions to some one in any other post.

Well Aman i am waiting suggestions from others too. It will refine the work which i havent started and it will also broaden my vision.
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

This species is called Ficus long island or Ficus green island. No need to wait till Jan to cut the stems as these propagate very easily (at least in tropical climate) and you could have numerous cuttings from this stock during spring/summer as well.

Summer is perfectly okay to go for the air layering / cuttings....and these would sprout easily.

On the styling, Aman's suggestion is good..... and you could have a cascade bonsai by air layering the branch + an upright style from the base stock.
But PLEASE plant it in a well drained mixture of one part course granular sand + one part garden soil + one part leaf compost.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
dak

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Shaukat

Thanks indeed for droping some guidelines. You and Aman are the only two persons to have suggested me but none of you have given advice for kumquate plant. Plz tell me r they not a good prospect for bonsai.

Second question is what do you mean by granular sand is is builder sand or some thing special?
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:12 am

River sand or in Urdu 'raith' is a good substrate for granular stuff.

I have seen a lot of beautiful bonsai from Kumquat online, however I have not grown one myself.

My suggestion is that, since it is another citrus tree it should be treated like one. Research on Google about what kind of soil citrus trees prefer, how much watering is good, how much light, and also see if you can find out how to prune it properly.

- Aman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me where to start    Help me where to start  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me where to start
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pak Bonsai Forum. :: Pak Bonsai forum :: Progression-
Jump to: