Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Effective way to propagate potential bonsai

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
amanHussain
amanHussain

Effective way to propagate potential bonsai Empty
PostSubject: Effective way to propagate potential bonsai   Effective way to propagate potential bonsai EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:21 pm

I keep hearing from bonsai experts that focus on getting a good trunk and nebari (surface roots). Once you have a desired trunk and nebari, then develop branches. This ofcourse applies to deciduous material.

A bonsai expert Phil Malhiot once told me that the best way to propagate good material for bonsai is by Air-Layering. He said that this way you can choose a branch with good thickness and movement and so get a head-start on trunk development. Also, when you do a Air-Layer, the roots are generally well distributed all around the base in a radial pattern.

I have never tried an Air-Layer so I cannot give you any advice on how it is done, however, I found a decent article on the subject which should give some of us an idea of how it is done.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/airlayer.htm

I have very often seen gardeners propagate Rubber tree by this process. Maybe we can seek their advice too.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Effective way to propagate potential bonsai   Effective way to propagate potential bonsai EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am

good share. have tried couple of times but failed. at present i have air layered a ficus,lets see what happen ?
but indeed its very good way to get a material for Bonsai.
Back to top Go down
Khaimraj

PostSubject: Re: Effective way to propagate potential bonsai   Effective way to propagate potential bonsai EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 pm

You are also allowed to plant a seed, lift the young seedling, cut the taproot, and then replant it on a clay tile. This allows the roots to grow flat and develop surface roots. Can also be done in a large pot as well as in the ground.

Of course, first check and see if that particular tree or shrub, has surface roots, otherwise you could end up with an oddity.
Khaimraj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Effective way to propagate potential bonsai   Effective way to propagate potential bonsai Empty

Back to top Go down

Effective way to propagate potential bonsai
Page 1 of 1