Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
amanHussain
amanHussain

Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant Empty
PostSubject: Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant   Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Salam everyone,

Most of us in this forum might have realized by now that bonsai requires much more time and commitment than an ordinary house plant and a garden plant. I have noticed that it soon becomes an obsession and does not remain a hobby anymore. I remember when I started this endeavor, I had a handful of seedlings, cuttings and maybe one nursery plant. But once the bonsai fever got worse, I was never satisfied with the materials I had and kept on collecting. Sooner or later I was spending a lot more time watering and pinching them.

Did I mention that I have a family with two kids/a wife, no servants, full-time job, a large house, friends, family, ...you get the picture. So after 3-5 years of hoarding plants, I decided to down-size my collection, and maybe trade a couple mediocre calibre material for a good one from some of my bonsai friends. This way I was satisfied with the material I had, and was actually able to practice some bonsai techniques on them. A good 20minutes a day with my trees was sufficient to keep them healthy and in shape. Once a month I would spend around an hour for larger work on trees.

The purpose of this post is to know your way of time management with bonsai. Hopefully, this will help people better manage their time with family, self, and with bonsai. Bonsai is a wonderful hobby and it can only reward you when it is treated like a pet, and not a plant.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

PostSubject: Re: Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant   Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 am

Hahahaha... Laughing
Aman, in life you have to balance every thing, profession,family,friends,socials, religion and Hobbies.
same situation is here... but i give more time to my plants daily, half hour before going to office and half at night, usually there is no holiday in my profession but i manage to have 3 to 4 hours on Sunday for plants and family.
Back to top Go down
amanHussain
amanHussain

PostSubject: Re: Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant   Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I also want to add that if you have friends who are either into bonsai or can baby-sit your trees, then taking a vacation poses no problem for my trees.

I often take 1 to 2 vacations a year and take my trees to someone who is willing to water my trees while I am away. They often charge me for their service.

Ideally, I would love to have neighbors who will water my trees while I am away (so that I don't have to move my trees around). Maybe I will try convincing one of my neighbors this year.

p.s Happy New Year.
- AH
Back to top Go down
Khaimraj

PostSubject: Re: Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant   Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:43 pm

On my side you train the live in maid or the yardman / gardener to water.
I spend an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening every day to water, but I still water with a 2 gallon watering can.
However, I started Bonsai and Fine Art at around 17 and so moulded my life around my career and hobby. I am 49 this year.
Khaimraj

*The maid and yardman use a hose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant   Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonsai as a pet, not as a plant
Page 1 of 1