Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrs hasan

what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? Empty
PostSubject: what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?   what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 pm

salam Mr Pak Bonsai,

i am really thankful to you for your help with my Ficus Thai/ Microcarpa bonsai. Now i am in need of more help and i hope u will accommodate again. I am going to prune my Ficus primer in January Inshallah as per your suggestion but in the meanwhile i want to work on my juniper bonsai primer.

I have been collecting information about this plant for quiet some time now. According to best of my knowledge (correct me if i am wrong)"pruning for shape method" work wonders with this plant and also it is an ideal subject for a first attempt at wiring, with flexible branches,and evergreen foliage that immediately shows an effect. Many writers suggest that the best time for its routine finger pruning is from late spring/ early summer ( i.e., in Pakistan i suppose April) to mid of September and the best time for its repoting and root pruning is early spring (in Pakistan mid February i suppose).

The thing i am confused about is that i haven't found any clue about when to wire and prune the branches (i.e., use "pruning for shape" method). All i know is that this plant can be wired all year long due to its evergreen foliage but nothing more.

My first question to you is that can i wire and prune the primers' s branches now in early winter to give it an instant bonsai like effect although i am not planning to prune its roots or remove from its present trainer pot until it gets the perfect shape.

Secondly, if the answer of the first question is No then should i go for the wiring alone instead both pruning and wiring.
i thank you again and hope to hear from u soon.

Mrs. Hasan.

Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?   what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Mrs hasan.
thanks for your appreciations.
junipers are hard to train as bonsai in our area.. (lahore) they do well in our northern areas
i have lost my 5 junipers in training process.So i cant suggest you any thing.
second the wiring of juniper is also something which is not an easy task.Some experts avoid to wire the juniper as they die when you wire them.
but as whole:i am unable to advice on juniper due to less knowledge.
may be our respectful members can assist you
Back to top Go down
farooq
seedling bonsai

PostSubject: Re: what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?   what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

I am training couple of Junipers. I have not found any trouble in wiring them. However you have to be extra cautious while wiring thin branches because they easily get damaged. Use only copper wire or aluminum wires with bonsai. Dont use steel wires, especially with Junipers because if steel wire cuts the bark and comes in contact with cambium it acts as a poison and branch / plant may eventually die. Copper wires are bit harder to work with but they have more holding power. I use aluminum wires becsuse they are easier to work with. And remember to change the wires as the tree grows. If you leave the wire on the plant it will cut into the wood and cause a scar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?   what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer? Empty

Back to top Go down

what is the right time to prune and wire branches of juiper bonsai primer?
Page 1 of 1