Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My Log Planting...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shaukat

PostSubject: My Log Planting...   Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Salam to all,

I had visited a friend's village home, and had seen this piece of log lying around the cattle's feeding area. It instantly caught my attention, and was told, it was actually the root of a jackfruit tree...

My friend laughed at me, when I showed my desire to carry it back home, if he would allow me to take it. He gladly agreed and said what would I do with it? I told him he would have to wait for a year to see for himself.
Initially I wanted to create a Chinese style penjing or landscape but didn't had the right plants at that time. So I started planting a mixture of species to see how they would adapt to the dead log.
A year later, my friend was 'shocked' to see green plants clinging to the dead log (I will try to trace the initial days pics).

Over the last 5 years, I added more plants. Now it has 2 types of epipytic ferns, 2 white flowering species we call 'kat beli', one wild berry plant and 2 types of Ficus. And the strange part is, although I had used very small amount of soil at the beginning, now it has NO soil at all !!!
And the plants are doing quite fine, and all I have to do just water them regularly and give a doze of fertilizer on and off.

This IS NOT A BONSAI, but it is a good experience for me that a wooden log could be such a great planting material. Maybe I would create a landscape in the future with this log. As of now, I use it as a decorative living design beside the entrance door of my home on special occassions.... much to the delight of my visiting guests.

Hope you would enjoy too.

Shaukat

There is no soil medium, only moss and dead wood.
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 am

Oh My God......
what beauty Sir.what a experiment.... its called "one man's grit another man's chore"
when a simple and un-noticeable thing comes to an expert....he totally change it by his skills.
Love it.
will try one if found a piece of this type.
by the way,which bonsai is in the left?
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Majed,

Thank you so much for your appreciation, and your kind words. Hope you find the right material soon, so that you could try it too.
One of my friends collects fantastic material (bogwood) from the rivulets, near natural forests, where the deadwood comes flowing through the rivers well seasoned and hardened.

The bonsai on the left is a variety of boxwood, Buxus harlendii, and needs my attention now. The bark of this species is very interesting with lot of texture and gives a very old look.
Do you have any boxwood variety available there?

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:05 am

Shaukat wrote:
......The bonsai on the left is a variety of boxwood, Buxus harlendii, and needs my attention now. The bark of this species is very interesting with lot of texture and gives a very old look.
Do you have any boxwood variety available there?...

Boxwood: Buxus harlendii.... see the rough texture of its bark, which is very attractive, although the plant is not very old.

This is the top view of the wooden log planting....

Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 am

Shaukat thanks for new pics....
between i am unable to recognise the BOXWOOD...... i fear i haven't seen this tree in Pakistan.But its bark is realy interesting.
i have planted some bottle brush plants (Callistemon)....they have almost same bark.

and your log is awesome....
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 am

Boxwoods are quite good for bonsai, and this species B. harlendii grows quite well in our climate here.
Yes, bottle brush also has a similar bark but I have never grown myself.

I had also colleted another species (most likely B. chinensis) from Shanghai in 2004 but it is a very slow grower and I haven't worked on this yet. The leaves are very attractive (pls see pic below), typical boxwood, but will take a lot of time to get a sizeable stem thickness.
It propogates very easily, and I have made many cuttings by now.

Thanks again for liking the log planting; pls do let me know when you find some interesting log/bogwood.

Shaukat

Boxwood collected from China....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Log Planting...   

Back to top Go down

My Log Planting...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1