Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

red ants in pot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 am

hi to all,
i have noticed that there are lot of red ants in my jade bonsai.are they dangerous for plants? if yes how to remove them from the plant.i can see them on the plant and in the soil.
please help
Back to top Go down
autumn

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 pm

fill the pot with water add few drops of kerosene the ants will leave the pot and change its place also.they actually do not harm the plant but ruin the soil and make holes in the soil and water start draining out of the pot.
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am

thanks Autumn,
regarding the water issue..... they are helping us.because if water will stand in pots the plant will die.always check if water is not draining fast from your Bonsai,your plant is in trouble.
I have listened that red ants/fire ants damage the roots....
i will try your suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 am

While it's true that bonsai pots need to have very good drainage but I think what Autumn had meant was the ants do have a tendency to disrupt the soil texture by creating lot of 'air pockets or holes'....... and this is not good for bonsai.

Because 'air pockets' create lot of blank spaces in the potting soil/mixture..... as a result many new roots cannot grow in the 'pockets' and tend to die due to lack of soil support.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Hmmmm red ants in pot Icon_cool
thanks shaukat....
does kerosene oil will not damage the plant ?
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:59 pm

I have never used kerosene oil in my soil, and can't say for sure.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
autumn

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:36 pm

thanx shukat you explain it very well. I use kerosene oil my self in plants ( even today for ants)not in my bonsai plant. Use it according to the given method do not use more than few drops but first fill the pot with water it do not harm your plant.( OR wait for few days and let me see what happens to my plants. I added kerosene oil in my three pots). If you do not want to do it than simlpy add the lime ( choona) in it or if you do not want to do it than change the place of your pot and change its soil.
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for the tips, Autumn.
Fortunately, I have not faced any problems of ants with my bonsai. With my other plants, like ferns and foliage plants, I normally go for repotting.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

red ants in pot Empty
PostSubject: Re: red ants in pot   red ants in pot Empty

Back to top Go down

red ants in pot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pak Bonsai Forum. :: Pak Bonsai forum :: Pak Bonsai Club-
Jump to: