Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how to make a bonsai ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

how to make a bonsai ? Empty
PostSubject: how to make a bonsai ?   how to make a bonsai ? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am

bonsai is such a interesting hobby that any body who seea bonsai plants ask how you can make such a little tree.
so here is the answer.
Very often the beginner or even intermediate enthusiast will find it difficult to prune a newly acquired plant sufficiently hard enough, resulting in a spindly looking bonsai with a weak-looking trunk. This short progression series is intended to show the importance of pruning back nursery stock/garden centre material hard if it is to be used for bonsai.
how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20211206%20004

December 2006: This Euonymous alatus/Winged Spindle or Burning Bush was purchased at a local Garden Centre Sale for a couple of pounds. This is quite a typical purchase that one can make from Nurseries and is often made by enthusiasts with the intention of using the stock to make a bonsai.

Here the tree can be seen just after purchase; it is approximately 24"/59cm tall having already been reduced in height by half at the Garden Centre.

The trunkbase is approximately 1.5"/3.5cm thick and looks very thin when compared to the rest of the tree. Ideally to make the trunk look approriate for a bonsai, I will need to aim for a finished tree height of between 6 and 10 times the diameter of the trunk. As Euonymous is naturally quite a thin-trunked tree in the wild, I will aim for a height 10 times the diameter of the trunk; in this case 15" or 37cm.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20211206%20005

So I start pruning; I need to reduce this tree down to a little less than the final height (this will allow room for me to grow a new canopy/apex in the future)

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20211206%20007

By the time I have reduced the tree's height down to 12"/29cm there is not much left. Notice that I have also chosen trunklines that taper as much as possible so that the trunklines are as thin near the top.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20%20211206%20002%20composite

A composite of the before and after images: now it is time to simply wait for the tree to react in Spring by popping new buds all over the trunk and growing out new branches from the resulting shoots.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20150807%20067

August 2006: After strong growth in Spring and Summer, the tree is pruned back hard again. This process of allowing the tree to grow strongly and then to be pruned back hard is repeated to help build up ramification and density of the branches.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20280108%20021

January 2008: 18 months later and the tree has had the growth of 2007 pruned back and styled. Notice that I have also pruned back the trunks as new buds and shoots became available for me to prune to.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20bonsai%20200608%20002%20(2)

July 2008: As each month of growth passes, the tree slowly but steadily fills out.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous3%20450

April 2009: The tree has been repotted into a simple round mica pot and has opened its fresh green Spring leaves.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous%20450

As can be seen in these last images, despite its relatively thin diameter, the trunks now looks powerful and in proportion with the new branches. This could only be achieved by properly pruning the tree when it was originally purchased and regrowing new branches.

how to make a bonsai ? Euonymous1%20450

The current height of the tree (slightly taller than originally intended): 16"/39cm

link:http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATEuonymousalatusProgressionSeries.htm
Back to top Go down

how to make a bonsai ?
Page 1 of 1