Pak Bonsai Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Small leaves?

Go down 
+2
pak bonsai
Khan 92
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Khan 92

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 1:52 pm

How does one make a tree leaves small? So that they are propotional to the bonsai's size.
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin
pak bonsai

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 2:15 pm

khan its difficult to make a tree leaves small.
though some artist or you can say guru say they can do but how no information available.
as i have a Pipal tree of 10 years the leaves are same size as you find in nature.
but dont worry when the tree will get its age t will start to grow small leaves.
have you noticed artist usually try ficus junipers cyprus elms pines jades for bonsai because they already have small leaves,which creates impressive look.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 2:40 pm

pak bonsai is right its difficult to keep small size leaves. lets wait if found a way we will share,
after all this forum is to share your ideas and experience no one here is expert.
Back to top Go down
https://pakbonsai.forumotion.com
Shaukat

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Khan 92 wrote:
How does one make a tree leaves small? So that they are propotional to the bonsai's size.
Khan,

You have rightly pointed out that small leaves are essential to maintain the right proportion vis-a-vis the stem and branches of a bonsai.
I would like to share my views and experience with you on how to reduce leaf size:

1) Defoliation: this is a process of removing the foliage/leaves of the tree.
For example after the spring growth when the new leaves turn dark green, cut the apex of the branch keeping only 2 three nodes/leaves. Let the leaves mature fully. About a month or two later, cut all all the leaves leaving only the leaf stock. The second flush of leaves/shoots, that will appear, will be comparatively smaller than the first growth.
Let this growth mature for a few more months, and again repeat the process of defoliation in the months of Aug/Sep. The 3rd set of leaves will be more smaller compared to the 2nd flush of shoots.

This will reduce the leaf size considerably, and you will get a very good branch ramification as well. I have tried and got good results, with fwg species:
- Ficus rumphii
- Ficus retusa
- Ficus religiosa (Pipul)
- Bougainvillea
- Arjuna indica
- Streblus asper, etc

2) CAUTION: The defoliation should be carried out only on healthy trees! If the tree is not vigorous, defoliation should be avoided.
If on the other hand the tree is healthy, defoliation can be carried out once or twice a year, depending upon the speicies. To frequent defoliation on some species can be disastrous and fatal.

3) Fertilization: Balanced fertilizaion is very essential to growing a well proportioned bonsai. A nitrogen based fertilizer will most likely produce big green leaves. While this helps to create vigorous foliage in the spring/summer season, a potash and phosphorous based fertilizer during late summer / autumn will help to check the size of the leaves.

4) Sunlight: Sufficient sunlight is essential to check the leaf size. I personally prefer growing trees under full sun. However, care should be taken for Mame and Shohin size bonsai, which would require additional watering, compared to a larger bonsai, to keep the soil moist.

5) Regular pruning: It is important to check the growth of the tree at regular intervals by constant pruning.
It helps to thicken the stem and branches and to some extent helps in leaf size reduction. As a bonus, you will get very good branch ramification.

I hope this info would be of some help to the members.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
MathewHoggard

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 8:00 am

This forum is all about the information that need in daily use. I have gotten a lot of information from this forum...!!!
Back to top Go down
Deandresst

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:00 pm

very beautiful tree

http://www.apkatv.com/2014/04/19/best-address-ever-by-javed-chaudhry/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Small leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small leaves?   Small leaves? Empty

Back to top Go down

Small leaves?