Pak Bonsai Forum.

Bonsai forum in Pakistan.how to make a bonsai,how to care for bonsai,lets talk about bonsai.how to create a bonsai,soil,pots,watering,pruning,cutting,styling.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

MAME : Ficus under training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: MAME : Ficus under training   Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 am

its difficult to find the material for a shohin or full size bonsai here in my area,so making a MAME is an easy task.We can find good material for this size of plant.
i have more ficus in my house than any other plant,they are easy to train as bonsai in our climate.i have made countless tries to make a mame Bonsai but failed.This time i have got the material from air-layering by an under training Bonsai of Shohin size, now i have two mame from same plant.Though its not so interesting material but i think its a good start for a beginner like me.

for size comparison i have placed a match with plant

from above

mother plant has age of 15 years and its six months since i got this plant by air-layering.
suggestions are welcomed.

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Thu May 12, 2011 11:13 pm

That is a very nice material. Does this species of Ficus grow aerial roots? That would look really cool.

I would let the top grow a little to define the apex. Right now the top is very flat.

- AH
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Aman thanks for kind words.usually this specie do not grow aerial roots,when i bought this plant from nursery about 15 years ago it had only one aerial root which after some months died,after that it has never grew any aerial root.But interesting thing is that it beard Fruit (fig) this year which looks very cool on it.
regarding apex,i am quit confused to choose the branch which can lead to apex in future,currently there are four shoots from which i will choose one for apex.

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Fri May 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Choose the strongest two of the four as your apex.

As a rule, I try to keep only two shoots from a node to give a nice forked design to branch development. Apex development can follow the same pattern.

If this is Ficus microcarpa, then there should be aerial roots. I think (do some research) in order to encourage aerial roots, the tree needs to be kept in a warm and humid area.

- AH
Back to top Go down
dak

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Sat May 14, 2011 12:43 pm

That seems a nice plant and i can essence a masterpiece form it, obiously we will have to wait for long to witness the ultimate thing. By the way can you please tell me where do u buy the wires and what is the soil type you have used for this plant. Plz do let me know where can i buy the coco coair, plz tell me the addresses of your sources along with the price.
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Sun May 15, 2011 1:24 pm

i will choose the two for apex.and i am sure its not ficus micro-carpa.But i will try to keep plant in humid tray to encourage aerial roots.
DAK. the soil is
40% gravel
40% compost
10% sharp sand
10% gardeing soil.
the wires i have used to grip the plant firmly with pot is 1 mm steel wire,its easily available at hardware store.i dont know your location so cant help you out.if you are from lahore then you can find wires on brandreth road market.
for coconut husk in lahore you can visit Sunny view club road behind governor house,its adjacent to sports complex.i hope other seed vendors also have the husk.usually they sell it as 50 rupees per bag.

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 pm

I like your compost mix.

Just one word of advice... do not use any kind of steel/iron material (in this case steel wire) in contact with plants. Iron rust (ferrous oxide) is poisonous to the plant cambium and will kill the branch or the part of plant in contact.

- AH
Back to top Go down
Shaukat

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Nice stock for a Mame bonsai...
This species is called Ficus long island (synonym Ficus green island) and is very close to Ficus microcarpa.

This definitely would produce many aerial roots, in hot and humid environment, as it does with my plants.

On the wiring, for Ficus particularly, I would prefer to use Aluminium wire over Copper wire.... as Alu wires are a softer. But you need to check from time to time as Ficus grows very quickly and the wire could merge with the branch.... causing ugly scars.

Shaukat
Back to top Go down
pak bonsai
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 am

amanHussain wrote:
I like your compost mix.

Just one word of advice... do not use any kind of steel/iron material (in this case steel wire) in contact with plants. Iron rust (ferrous oxide) is poisonous to the plant cambium and will kill the branch or the part of plant in contact.

- AH
i will replace the wire with Aluminium in next re potting.thanks for useful Information

PostSubject: Re: MAME : Ficus under training   

Back to top Go down

MAME : Ficus under training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1